A little bit of me, on your screen

Monday, February 22, 2021

Five things i have learnt working front of house full-time






This is not some confessional, tell all on my work place but five general tips and tricks I have learnt from working full-time in hospitality. I also thought it was quite fitting seen as we have just been told come early April we may be able to sit round the pub table with our friends once more- yay!

 1) You need to love the place 

This is super important. I think the reason people see hospitality as stop-gap rather than something that can really benefit your career or be your career full stop - is because they don’t enjoy the pub or bar etc etc that they work in. It is true when they say you can love your job but not enjoy where you work. Hospitality, although a sociable job, doesn’t offer sociable hours. You end up spending a hell of a lot of time with the people you work with so its pretty vital you actually like them. Who else is down for Sunday fun day on a school night! 

Whereas many can clock out at 17.00 , go home and it not cause total chaos. If you’re supposed to finish at 23.00 but the pub is crazy busy, you’re not going anywhere. You can't just pick up someones meal again tomorrow, people are paying good money for this experience and to ruin that would ultimately damage the pub's rep. And, that would make you a pretty crappy employee. Because of this, you end up spending a lot more time in those walls than originally planned. It is worth it though, finishing a crazy shift leaves you feeling fab and it goes so quickly - you'll blink and it'll be over. 

2) Invest in heavy duty concealer

This is no joke - especially during Christmas. And, god forbid the government ever pulls another Eat Out To Help Out, it wasn't fun, I cannot lie.  Whereas most jobs leave you feeling pretty mentally drained... funny that is just a given. Chuck physical exhaustion in to the mix and you get a pretty sleepy person. Now, I am not claiming my steps equate to walking Everest every day but it is bloody close. I defiantly hit my 10,000. 

The late nights are no joke either. We may start later than your average 9-5 but it is no walk in the park. However, I can promise you will forget all about the tiredness when you finish a bloody lovely shift and sit down for a drink at the end of the day. You'll cheers to making it through that day and look forward to the next.

3) Sunday fundays are essential

You might of heard of Sundays being the Friday night for those who work in hospitality. That’s because Mondays are generally quieter so having a few drinks isn’t the end of the world. Luckily enough for me I generally get Monday and Tuesdays off, so I tend to drink a few bottles instead. 

What I am saying is, enjoy the time off that you get. Yes it may be a Monday and Tuesday but you need to enjoy it like everyone else does otherwise, what is the point of having time off? That is your weekend so: lay in, go to the gym , go out for dinner, have a few too many drinks - do it all.

Trust me, if you ask a friend who works a 9-5 if they fancy a midweek drink, they will almost certainly say yes. Hannah and I love a drink on a school night, she always starts with her usual spiel, "I cant drink too much I've got a meeting tomorrow"- and the next thing you know she’s the one refusing to leave or throwing up the second her feet are off the train and on the platform. Now, whilst this might make a really crappy friend, the hangover lasts a day and the memories last forever. That’s what the say right...? 

4) Go home on your split  

Dreaded splits. No one loves them but they are the reality when you work in a super busy pub. I spent the first few months staying at the pub during my split- I'd meet a friend, have some food and maybe a small glass of vino. Now as fun and convenient as this is, it is important to get some space. As previously mentioned, you spend a lot of time where you work and as much as you might love it, sometimes you can get too much of a good thing. Either go to a different pub or cafe - or just go home. However, if you do decide to do the latter, do not go to sleep! You will wake up feeling groggier, or worse you might not wake up at all. Its not fun being late, it is really awkward. Put your feet up, yes, but make sure you're drinking coffee whilst catching up with the telly.

5) The customer isn’t always right

I cant stress enough that the majority of people I have served are bloody gorgeous. Some, I have stopped in the street to talk to and built a genuine rapport with. However, just because the main cruxes of your job spec is to ensure you’re delivering top-notch levels of service, does not mean everyone deserves it. 

Working in hospitality of course means that at some point you’ve got to deal with a few complaints, some are totally valid. However, if said complaint becomes personal or they are refusing to give it up after you have done everything possible, it is totally okay to stand up for yourself. If you don’t like the way someone is talking to you, you must tell them. Just because you are young and working in a service position, does not make you any less intelligent than the next person and no one should make you feel as though you are. In fact, it makes you very emotionally intelligent, which is something most lack. 

I’m not saying go out of your way to be rude to them to, never stoop to their level. What I am saying is, if  you’ve been through the niceties after a complaint and they continue on their tirade, you should stand your ground. And, if you’re worried about what management might think if you do this, you’re working for the wrong people. 

Overall, deferring for a year at uni and finding my feet within hospitality was one of the best decisions I ever made. Pursuing a career in hospitality wherever it be front of house or turning that passion into a 9-5, is something I will continue to advocate for the rest of my life. I have learnt what it is to juggle 8924 things at once and build genuine relationships with the people I work with and customers alike. 

So, get excited to be back in the hustle and bustle of a busy pub, because it is not long now people! And, when you are there, make sure you appreciate those working hard to make your first experience back as memorable as it can be.

First round is on me!

Abbie x 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig